Recipe after the jump
Shepherds Pie Recipe
Serves: 8 Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes cooked and mashed
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp sour cream
8 oz ground beef
1 large onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 rib celery, finely diced
1 cup mushrooms, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups beef broth
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup cooked lentils
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Dice and boil potatoes until tender. Mash with milk and sour cream. Season with salt/pepper
- Prepare 1/2 cup of lentils according to package
- Warm a large skillet over med heat until hot. Add beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink. About 5 minutes.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Saute for 8 minutes
- Add garlic and saute 2 minutes
- Sprinkle flour on top and cook, stirring for 2 minutes
- Stir in broth, Worcestershire sauce and lentils. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir peas into meat mixture and season with salt/pepper. Pour into baking dish.
- Carefully spread potatoes on top of meat mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. If potatoes do not brown enough use broiler on high until golden. About 2 minutes. But watch carefully to keep from burning.