Tasty Delights and Dazzling Disasters is all about playing in the kitchen and having some fun.
I'll share my delights or my disasters. Yall feel free to join in and create your own posts, share your favorite recipes, what have you.
I'm on a soup kick lately and tried out a low cal black bean soup this weekend for Tasty Delights.
You can play with this one a good bit. I added green pepper to mine and rice.
If you like more spice add that in, tomatoes, etc.
Saute your veggies for a few minutes.
Add in your spices and cook for a minute.
Add beans, water, salt, pepper and salsa then bring to a quick boil
before reducing to a simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in lime juice then puree half of your soup.
You can transfer to a blender very very carefully
or use a submersible handheld blender.
This wasn't bad at all. Using the original recipe it's not the *most* favorable dish but it's not bad.
I'd add more salt, pepper and play around with some other spices if I tried it again.
Maybe some garlic or tomatoes.
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
3 cups water (reduce if you'd like a thicker soup)
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1/4 teaspoon salt (would up this to 1/2 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon lime juice
4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Things I'd add--
1/2 cup green pepper
1/4 teaspoon pepper
a couple cloves of garlic-minced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion/green pepper and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add beans, water, salsa and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids) or handheld blender Stir the puree back into the saucepan.
- Serve garnished with sour cream,cilantro, etc if desired or place over a bed of rice