I love love love egg rolls and got the urge to try and make my very own the other day.
Okay so it's been like 2 months since I made them but, um, someone might have forgotten it was almost Tuesday and they didn't have a recipe made up. Maybe. Kinda. So this one got pulled from the files and done up ;)
There's a bit of flexibility here. I put rough numbers on the veggie quantities in the recipe but you can pretty much do them to your own preference. Like more cabbage? Add it in. Or mushroom or other onions, etc.
Get all of your veggies nice and thinly sliced.
Do a little sauteing.
Huh. Is that a word? It's kinda funny looking but spell check's going with it.
Add in corn starch and soy sauce.
Go slow with this step. I added a bit too much and it was pretty salty.
Lay out your wraps and spoon in 1/4 cup of your veggie mix.
Then start wrapping.
To seal them dip your finger in water then run along the edges before folding them over.
Fry in a bit of veggie oil until browned then flip and continue frying.
They do continue to brown a little after being taken out of the oil so don't let them too dark before removing them.
Allow to drain then serve.
With a little duck sauce. Pretty perfect and not all that hard!
Vegetable Egg Roll Recipe
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
1 cup julienne carrots
1 cup bean sprouts, fresh if possible
1 cup leeks, shredded
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1 T corn starch
1/4 cup soy sauce
Egg Roll wrappers
peanut oil for frying
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- On med-high, heat sesame oil and 2T peanut oil then saute cabbage for 2 minutes
- Add carrots, leeks, green onions and bean sprouts and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk together corn starch and soy sauce then pour into veggie mix. Cook until it thickens then remove from heat and allow to cool
- Lay out egg roll wrappers with a corner facing towards you and brush edges lightly with water. Place 1/4 cup of veggie mix at one end and roll wrapper over filling tucking in edges after you've completed first turn then seal wrapper.
- Heat peanut oil and fry until golden brown, about 1-3 minutes.
- Let drain then serve with sauce of choice