He lives in the shadows. As the mysterious masked avenger known as the Ghost of St. Giles, Godric St. John's only goal is to protect the innocent of London. Until the night he confronts a fearless young lady pointing a pistol at his head—and realizes she is his wife.
Lady Margaret Reading has vowed to kill the Ghost of St. Giles—the man who murdered her one true love. Returning to London, and to the man she hasn't seen since their wedding day, Margaret does not recognize the man behind the mask. Fierce, commanding, and dangerous, the notorious Ghost of St. Giles is everything she feared he would be—and so much more.
When passion flares, these two intimate strangers can't keep from revealing more of themselves than they had ever planned. But when Margaret learns the truth—that the Ghost is her husband—the game is up and the players must surrender...to the temptation that could destroy them both.
Type: Historical Romance
Heat: 3 out of 5
Rating: 4 out of 5
Oooo so, so, so many things I liked about this one. It was my first time reading Hoyt and, yeah, she's got a new fan. She had me right from the start with a bit of action and what turned out to be a marriage of connivence which, hello, one of my favorite set ups! The hitch in this one? Well, they're "married" but they haven't laid eyes on each other in the 2 years since their wedding day until one night on a dark road the chit holds him up at gun point. Talk about a dramatic reunion! lol
I loved both Godric and Margaret. He's an older hero coming in at 37 which I thought was a nice change of pace. He's grouchy and curt compared to her lively and exuberant nature which was...entertaining as she invades his quiet life in London, starts renovating his home and sets out to have his baby. They're such a pair together and really fit even with all of their differences.
There were a couple different things going on here that all sort of mesh together. Godric's hidden role as the Ghost of St Giles, who is a vigilante and goes about eliminating London's criminals and saving innocents, Margaret's determination to kill the Ghost of St Giles thinking him responsible for her fiance's death years earlier, a new dilemma of "lassie snatchers" stealing little girls and Godric investigating and then of course the coming together of Godric and Margaret. It's a packed storyline but it all moves so well together and keeps things exciting.
Things are a little different between Godric and Margaret. Before their quickie marriage of convenience they both lost the loves of their lives and they both still deeply mourn their losses. They both struggle a good deal being around each other, dealing with the attraction and feeling of guilt that they're betraying their former loves. There were some very awkward and heart breaking moments between them and man I ached for them both. Their journey wasn't an easy one at all but it was wonderfully done and Hoyt really made me feel their inner battles.
Heat-wise. Things were very uncomfortable at first due to their relationship and all the baggage. It wasn't hot or sexy but rather heart breaking and I think very fitting for them and who they were. Now, when Godric finally took control of things and forced them to deal and acknowledge what was between them, holy, it was GOOD!
I really enjoyed almost everything about the book but there was one thing that kept it from hitting 5 starts for me and that was the set up for the next book.I loved the actual tidbits we got and am really excited about getting to read the story. I even popped online while reading to make sure the couple was who I hoped they'd be. My problem with it was that it wasn't a smooth inclusion in the overall storyline. The transition from the main story to the secondary was very abrupt with no lead in. It just felt awkward and pulled me out of the storyline. I'm not sure if that's Hoyt's typical style or if it had something to do with me not starting the series at the beginning or what. But it was something that stuck out for me. Regardless though I am really freaking excited to read the next book in the series because the characters sound excellent. A Duke and a Companion that is far below his status.
Overall though this was an awesome story and one that has me eager to check out the rest of the series. I loved the characters and that their story really wasn't average or typical in any way. If you enjoy a good historical romance that'll get your emotions involved and have you cheering for the hero and heroine when they finally get it together this is one you should definitely pick up.
The Herd Archives
- ► 2016 (343)
- ► 2015 (496)
- ► 2014 (585)
- Love on the Line by Kimberly Kincaid
- Spotlight: Bound by Bonnie Bliss + giveaway
- Cat Thursday...nom...nom...nom...
- April is gonna be a weird month on herding cats!
- Six Naughty Nights by Serenity Woods + giveaway
- Wolf with Benefits (Pride #8) by Shelly Laurenston...
- Spotlight: Mark of the Sylph by Rosalie Lario
- Tasty Tuesday: Eggplant "Pizza"
- Cover Reveal: Hard As It Gets by Laura Kaye-- It's...
- Randomly Random: When your vacation starts out at ...
- The Thing With Feathers by Anne Sweazy Kulju + giv...
- Cat Thursday...We're 5!
- Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan
- Spotlight: Surrender Your Love by JC Reed + giveaw...
- Tasty Tuesday: Veggie & Cheese Stuffed Biscuits
- Byzantine Gold (Dangerous Waters #2) by Chris Karl...
- Spotlight: The Long Way Home by Jessica Scott + gi...
- TBR Pile Knockout: Um, sure...
- Spotlight: Deceived- Chloe's Revenge by Eve Carter...
- Guest Post w/ Rose Gordon + giveaway
- Spotlight: A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest
- Cat Thursday..."It's all about the nip, man. All.....
- Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane #5) by Elizabeth Hoy...
- Cover Reveal: The Replacement by Rachael Wade
- "Tasty" Delights-- The "oh hell" edition...
- Spotlight: Cheers by Vallory Vance + giveaway
- Breaking the Nexus (Mythrian Realm #1) by Lindsay ...
- Interview w/ Roxanne Snopek + giveaway & interview...
- Friday Finds! Free & On Sale Books!
- Interview w/ Cari Silverwood + giveaway
- Cat Thursday...Imma Lion!! *RAWR*
- Down for the Count (Dare Me #1) by Christine Bell
- Love's Revenge by Monica Burns
- Tasty Tuesday: Saltine Cracker Toffee
- TBR Pile KnockOut! Aaaaannnnd....laugh.
- Guest Post w/ Keri Lake + Giveaway!
- ▼ March (36)
- ► 2012 (448)