Welcome to this week's Tasty Delights and Dazzling Disasters! As always yall are more than welcome to join in and do a little cooking. Have fun with it and feel free to share those disasters too! Goodness knows we make them often enough over here ;)
So trying to find a dish that starts with N and is veggie friendly and easy turns out to be really really hard. BUT I found this one and oh my word...yum. It took about 20 minutes to make and is very tasty.
Just a few ingredients. I'll be making this again later this summer with tomatoes and onion from the garden. The green onions though...I totally grew those from the roots of ones I bought at the grocery store. They're doing awesome and are about a foot and a half tall now.
Don't forget your butter and cheese like me! I went with cheddar today. Basically because I started cooking at midnight and realized my mozzarella was way past Anna's-willing-to-risk-it and I didn't want to run to the store again. So cheddar it was.
Dice and slice your onions and saute until limp. Just a few minutes.
Add in your diced tomatoes. It called for fresh peeled. Yeah. I'm lazy. I kept the peels.
Stir constantly. This was actually pretty neat. The tomatoes liquefied a bit and started creating a sauce.
Add in your seasonings. I left out cilantro because I think cilantro is foul. So just cumin and oregano. Again gonna use fresh from the garden next time :)
Then remove from heat and slowly stir in your cream.
Slowly add in your cheese and stir until melted.
Delish! I think the sauce would be really good over pasta as well.
There's quite a bit left over so I might just try that for lunch today :)
Last year's A to Z post: Naked Edge
So, what's your favorite potato dish? Do you even like them?
Feel free to link in recipes or whatnot :)
And A to Z'ers and bloggers- Leave those links to your blogs so I can check them out!
Until next week! Happy cooking!
New Potatoes w/ Tomato and Cheese Sauce Recipe:
(Recipe snagged from Simply Recipes)
8 to 12 small red-skinned new potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
1 med yellow onion, finely chopped
4 large green onions, cut in 1-inch lengths
2 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used about 1 1/2 cups)
- Scrub the potatoes; do not peel. Place the potatoes in a large pan, cover with water and boil, covered, until tender when pierced, about 20 minutes. Drain and place in a serving container. Keep warm.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and green onions and cook until limp.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream, cilantro, oregano, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- While stirring, slowly add the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.
- If potatoes are not small, cut them in halves or quarters. Spoon the sauce over the potatoes.