Maddie Jacobs must be crazy. At least that’s what her mother thinks. Professionally, she’s confident and secure; personally, she’s a hot mess. Not even a marriage proposal from a man who adores her can quell her search for something more.In need of an escape, Maddie flees to Key West’s most southern island, Bella Key, to rest and recharge at Casa Bonita. She almost gives up on weekend retreat when the Bed & Breakfast is closed for repairs until Sunny Rojas, the inn owner, extends an offer of friendship, sweet tea and a room.
Still reeling from a breakup with her longtime partner, Sunny is thankful for the diversion from her own broken heart.The arrival of a fierce storm forces the women’s emotional journey to a head and leads them into each other’s arms. But can Maddie throw her hangups to the wind and go with her heart? The magic of Bella Key teaches her that passion cannot be placed neatly into boxes labeled right and wrong, because love knows no boundaries.
Author Note: One look at the cover tells you Bella Key is an erotic female/female romance. However, first and foremost it’s love story that just happens to contain two very sexy women. So whether you’re a fan of f/f or maybe f/f-curious ~ give it a try. I think you’re going to like it.
Morning Scarlet! Welcome to herding cats & burning soup! Help yourself to a bit of coffee and a scone. There's some nice strawberry jam and homemade butter if you'd like some too. I've got some questions for ya once you're all settled in.
Good morning, Anna! Wow ~ coffee, scones...jam and homemade butter? You'll never get rid of me now. *sits and takes one of everything*
Mmm I just cannot get enough of this jam. So good! Huge congrats on your new release Scarlet. That's pretty exciting. It's a f/f storyline, right? That's a fairly new genre for me but I loved the one I read not too long ago. Could you tell us a bit about your ladies and what sparked their story?
Thank you. I'm so excited about the release of Bella Key. I've been a fan of f/f for some time and have wanted to write my own for a while. Bella Key came to me while researching locations for another story. I found an advertisement for the Florida Keys targeted at lesbians. The ad showed two women on a sailboat with the caption: "The Florida Keys - No Dinghies Allowed". I knew then The Keys would be the setting for my first lesbian erotic romance.
::snort:: "No Dinghies Allowed" oh that is too funny! That's really great you decided to try something new. I saw you write under another name as well. Since this was your first foray into writing a f/f couple what other types do you write?
I also write M/F contemporary erotic romance. My heroes are uber Alpha, so it was a fun change of pace to write a sweet and tender love story with two women. The f/f dynamic is very different.
Oh I bet. Were there any surprises along the way with telling their story compared to writing other types of relationships?
There are definitely challenges to writing f/f. For one, they are both "she/her" so I found myself using their names more than I do in a M/F.
Oh goodness. I hadn't even thought of that. Yeah that would be a little confusing. So, how about telling us 4 fun behind the scenes facts about Bella Key? Think pop-up video style.
1. Jules Quigley, a famous romance author and resident of Bella Key is introduced about halfway through the story. I can't give much away here but let's say Jules was inspired by a real life famous romance author I met last year.
2. The Nights of Rodanthe played through my mind while writing Bella Key, especially the storm scene.
3. Jimmy Buffet's song Party at the End of the World would be the first song on Bella Key's soundtrack.
4. Maddie prepares Sunny my all time favorite meal - seared tuna and mashed potatoes during their first night together.
Yum on the mashed potatoes! So, do your friends and family members read your books? Does it make you nervous?
Yes and hell yes! Actually, it makes me nervous when anyone tells me they are reading my books.
LOL ahh it would make me so nervous too Scarlet!! When you're not hanging out with your characters how do you spend your time?
I spend a lot of time at my EDJ (evil day job). However, for a job, it's not so evil. :) I also love photography and spending time with my family.
Aw that's pretty awesome. Always good to actually like the EDJ ;) Alright just some quick fun ones and we'll let you head on out to the fam....
- I'm completely obsessed with...? coordinating my panties and bra with my outfit. I'm off for the whole day if they don't match. *snort* nice!
- My favorite thing in my room is...? My laptop
- Favorite flavor? Chocolate
- Favorite Man Candy...or um, Chick Candy? My true love (other than my husb, of course) is George Clooney, but I also have a girl crush on Scarlett Johansson.
- Sweet, steamy or kinked out reads? The steamier, the better. However, I like sensual steamy. I read and write some kink, too. My alter ego's series is "BDSM-lite".
- Weirdest thing you've ever eaten? I'm not very adventurous culinary-wise, but my husband and I were recently in London and ate ginger root ice cream. *hmmm that's a new one Scarlet!*
- Cats or dogs? I have to say dogs. :) We have two. A German Shepherd who thinks she's a Malti-poo and a Malti-poo who thinks he's a, you guessed it, German Shepherd
Okay, okay, pups are good too. Not quite up to cat status but we do love em ;) Thanks so much for dropping in Scarlet! Hope you have a great rest of the day!
Scarlet Chastain is the semi-secret pseudonym of a multi-published, best selling author of sensual erotic romance. Scarlet's focus is female-centric sizzling stories written about women, for women.
She lives in the suburban shadows of New York City but her heart belongs to the beaches of Key West. Scarlet can usually be found in her favorite chair of her newly acquired writing cave with her maltipoo, Coco.
Alright lovelies! Hope you enjoyed the interview. Be sure to leave Scarlet some love!
Have any of yall read a f/f storyline?
Have any of yall read a f/f storyline?