Cauliflower w/ Cheese Sauce
Alright so not the most photographic of Tasty Tuesday's but it was still rather yummy! :)
Check out the recipe after the jump...
Fairly simple ingredients.
The recipe calls for cubed cheese but I only had shredded at the house so went with it :)
Set your cauliflower to cooking before starting your sauce.
Either steam or boil the cauliflower then drain.
Melt your butter on low.
Raise temp to medium. Add in salt, pepper and flour and combine.
Keep heating until slightly bubbly and looking like this.
Stirring the whole time.
Add in milk.
Bring the mixture to a boil stirring constantly.
Boil one minute.
Mixture will thicken. It'll resemble instant pudding after you've mixed it before it's set completely.
Remove from heat and add in cheese.
Stir until cheese has melted and combined.
Pour cheese over cooked cauliflower.
This wasn't part of the recipe but I decided to broil the cauliflower/cheese mix for a few minutes after combining until they got just a little bit of color.
Add shaved cheese on top and serve.
So, like I said, not the most attractive of dishes but it's actually pretty good.
The sauce wasn't too heavy and just the right amount of cheesy goodness.
Things I'd do different:
Using fresh cauliflower so pieces would be larger.
Frozen cauliflower is chopped pretty small
And try it with a little mustard in the cheese sauce.
Either yellow or dijon for a little kick.
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cubed (if you use shredded go for slightly less than 1 cup of cheese)
2 (10oz) packages frozen cauliflower
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in milk then bring to a boil stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Set aside.
- Cook cauliflower according to package directions, drain.
- Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower and mix.
- Broil on high for a few minutes to add a little color :)
- Garnish with shaved cheese if desired.