There’s a song on the Osmond Family Christmas album (my favorite Christmas music ever!) that sings about having an old fashioned Christmas. I love it and the sentiment behind it, but at the same time, my family is creating new traditions for the holidays, special things we do that are unique to us–and all the more cherished. But that doesn’t mean we’ve ditched everything our parents did for us growing up. We kept the standard ones of course:
- Christmas tree (artificial to save the forest) with the most awesome (AKA tacky or with your name on them) decorations ever. I’ve got a singing bass, Tim Hortons timbits, Bumble, and even KISS boots, lol.
- Stockings for everyone in the family which Santa stuffs to overflowing (Thank you Dollarama!) Mine is a cool high heeled boot one with peacock colors.
- Outdoor Christmas Lights all across the front of the house, in the two trees and a rockin’ Santa riding a motorcycle lol.
- Eggnog — the virgin kind lol
Nothing unusual with any of those. Then, there’s the traditions we started just for our family:
- New this year, Elf on a Shelf. She gets into trouble that one. The other night she taped herself to the wall and had a note from her gift wrapping teacher saying she failed again.
- Skipping the turkey on Christmas day (because my kids hate it) and oven toasting some KFC along with french fries, reheating the KFC gravy and serving all that along with the fluorescent coleslaw on the fine china. We make the kids Shirley Temples in fancy plastic wineglasses and all sit in the dining room wearing the crowns from our crackers. My kids have never eaten more on Christmas Day since we started this a few year ago. And it is marvelous, not to mention relaxing for me. I get to enjoy the day, play with the kids and best of all keep my smile because they actually eat instead of complaining and pushing food around.
- Matching pajamas! One year we had matching onesie chunky monkey jammies that we too freaking hot.
- Feeding the reindeer the night before so Santa and his crew can find us. Secret Recipe — take some oats, mixed with colorful candy sprinkles, add in some glittery magical dust and presto, you’ve got something special for the kids to sprinkle on the front lawn
- Christmas Eve neighborhood walk where we check out the lights and sing carols–that taper off if we run into anybody lol
- Oh and the most important tradition for mom and dad–something a little extra in our Christmas morning coffee. Nothing says cheer like a dollop of Sheridan in our morning brew.
So what old traditions have you kept? And what new ones did you create? Which ones do you hope your kids will pass on one day? I am really hoping mine keep the KFC one lol.
Damn it, a man had his pride and a caribou a certain majestic presence, all of which could wind up ruined if he abased himself to play a simple-minded reindeer in the town’s Christmas parade.No way was he wearing damned tinsel in his antlers.Like hell was he sporting a red nose and pulling a sleigh.But he changes his mind when he meets the woman in charge of the event.Single mom, Crystal, is doing her best to offer her daughter the best Christmas ever. It’s their first in Kodiak Point, and she’s not about to let some vain jerk ruin it for her little girl.If playing dirty is what it takes…then bring on the Christmas games. As Crystal and Kyle butt heads—and lips—they discover more than goodwill this holiday season. They’re gifted with a second chance at love.
Amazon | Goodreads
I am the first person to admit I am totally boring and lead a mundane life. Seriously. My idea of fun is shopping at our local Walmart lol. I like to play video games, cook, and read. My inspiration, hmm, I guess you could say hubby as he is a total alpha male which means I often want to club him over head with a frying pan. But, despite his ornery, ‘I-am-man’ nature, I love him dearly.
I’m writing romance, my way. I do have a twisted imagination and a sarcastic sense of humor something I like to let loose in my writing. I like strong alpha males, naked chests and werewolves. Lots of werewolves. In fact, you’ll notice most of my multi partner stories revolve around great, big, overprotective Lycans who just want to please their woman. I am also extremely partial to aliens, you know the kind who abduct their woman and then drive them insane…with pleasure of course.
I love to write, and while I don’t always know what my mind is going to come up with next, I can promise it will be fun, probably humorous and most of all romantic, because I love a happily ever after.
Find Eve Online
We have a huge grand prize drawing going on during AFTH2014!
Just leave Eve a comment with your favorite (or quirky) traditions then jump over to THIS page to enter the Giveaway Widget! There's some goodies from Eve in there!