Tasty Delights and Dazzling Disasters is all about playing in the kitchen and having some fun.
I'll share my delights or my disasters. Yall feel free to join in and create your own posts, share your favorite recipes, what have you.
Some of you know that I'm trying to get healthier. I was feeling kind of motivated this week and started looking up some low calorie recipes that were still filling and tasty. It's been colder here lately and soup sounded like just the right thing. A serving size of one cup is only 186 calories. Not bad. And it really was good!
Alright, so leeks are kinda dirty if you haven't worked with them before.
t's very important to wash them before cooking.
Slice them up then rinse thoroughly in water.
Once clean...Saute them until softened.
Add in your cauliflower, milk, water, bay leaf and seasonings.
Cook until cauliflower is tender.
Mix flour and remaining milk then add to soup and heat until thickened.
Add in lemon juice and cheese and cook another couple of minutes until melted.
Annnnd...delicious. This is an excellent one for a colder night.
I added a touch more salt to my dish but liked that it wasn't too salty to begin with.
It's a simple soup but really quite tasty and filling.
Do you have a favorite healthy meal?
Or favorite soup?
Or favorite soup?
Cheddar, Cauliflower & Leek Soup Recipe (Click HERE for printable Recipe)
Found at EatingWell
[8 servings, 1 cup each-- 186 calories]
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed
4 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)
2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Scallions for topping
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add leeks and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, 2 cups milk, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl.
- When the cauliflower is soft, remove the bay leaf and stir in the milk/flour mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the soup has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and lemon juice.